[Samba] Samba Folder Redirection

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Thu Aug 31 15:27:30 UTC 2023

On 30.08.2023 21:44, Chris me via samba wrote:
> Hi, I have a samba 4 AD setup and I am using a GPO for folder redirection as stated here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Windows_Profile_Folder_Redirections_with_Group_Policy
>
> I am able to redirect folders such as Desktop, Documents, etc but I am trying to redirect AppData and it will not work. When I try setting that, when a user logs on it will just sit at the signing in screen with the spinning wheel indefinetaly. Does anyone know what the issue might be?
>
> I have tried both options, Using Group Policy Folder Redirection and Using a Group Policy Preference
>
> I redirected to \\server\USER\.wprofile\AppData
>
> Desktop is redirected to \\server\USER\.wprofile\Destkop and it works fine.
>
> Thanks
Hi Chris,

According to Microsoft's documentation, you can only redirect
AppData\Roaming.

I have been using folder redirection for years with both pure Windows
systems, and mixes of Windows server/Samba AD DC/Linux member server.

But you need to supply a lot more information before somebody can help
you. OS and version of your AD DC, OS and version of the member server,
smb.conf where applicable.

Best regards,

Peter