[Samba] Domain password policy with Samba AD DC

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Wed Aug 30 10:40:08 UTC 2023

On 30.08.2023 11:58, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 09:49:05 +0200
> Peter Milesson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>>> I would also note that the even better password polices - fine
>>> grained password policies - (password setting objects) were never
>>> available via GPMC and were always directly set to the directory.
>>> We have good tooling for that in samba-tool, plus whatever windows
>>> uses would edit the same LDAP attributes.
>>> Andrew Bartlett
>>>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Thanks for the information. In my setting, standard password policies
>> are sufficient.
>>
>> Is it possible to set password policies at all using GPMC from RSAT?
>> I did not succeed, as I wrote. It's not an important issue, however
>> it would have been nice to be able to use one tool for everything. In
>> a small setting like mine (about 40 users), I just set it once with
>> samba-tool, and that's it. I would be very surprised if the need ever
>> arises to change something there. I would sooner expect that there
>> will be requirements for other types of authentication that are more
>> secure in the not so far future.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Peter
>>

> This got my interest, so I did a little testing from a win10 VM and
> (for myself) GPME works up to a point.
>
> I followed David Mulder's instructions, though there were a few errors,
> I could easily set things in the GPME, but they didn't seem to affect
> AD. I turned of password complexity and set min password length to 8,
> this was not reflected in AD.
> I then wondered if it was altering sysvol, so I checked and:
>
> sudo cat /var/lib/samba/sysvol/samdom.example.com/Policies/'{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}'/MACHINE/Microsoft/'Windows NT'/SecEdit/GptTmpl.inf
> ��[Unicode]
> Unicode=yes
> [Version]
> signature="$CHICAGO$"
> Revision=1
> [System Access]
> MinimumPasswordLength = 8
> PasswordComplexity = 0
> [Registry Values]
>
> And when I turned password complexity back on through GPME:
>
> ��[Unicode]
> Unicode=yes
> [Version]
> signature="$CHICAGO$"
> Revision=1
> [System Access]
> MinimumPasswordLength = 8
> PasswordComplexity = 1
> [Registry Values]
>
> So it looks like it is halfway there, it is creating the GPO in sysvol.
> I ran samba-gpupdate, but it either does nothing or crashes.
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

I set the parameter "apply group policies = yes" in smb.conf as Andrew
suggested (I even tried in GPME/Administrative templats/Samba/smb.conf).
Then I set password policies through GPME. Every time I do something in
GPMC/GPME, it seems that the permissions under sysvol become disturbed
(using samba-tool ntacl sysvolcheck), but was fixed by a sysvolreset
(this is another matter). Subsequently, I checked up the entries in
GPME, and they were exactly as I had set them with GPME. Running a
GPRESULT in Windows showed that policies set with GPME were applied.
Running "samba-tool domain passwordsettings show", does not reflect
anything set with GPME. Testing by adding a new user to AD, confirms
that the samba-tool settings are those that get applied, not what I set
with GPME. A bit weird.

Presently, the problem is more of an academic nature. I can live with
that, as it's more like set and forget. I may have forgot something
essential, but I don't think so. I guess this needs a bit more work in
the code. Nothing high priority, I guess, as it's not a show stopper.
But it should be duly noted in the Wiki.

Best regards,

Peter