[Samba] Domain password policy with Samba AD DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 30 09:58:49 UTC 2023

On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 09:49:05 +0200
Peter Milesson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 29.08.2023 21:38, Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote:
> >>>
> >> Hi folks,
> >> I've tried to get password policies setting using the Windows GPMC
> >> from RSAT working. Unfortunately, no change. It just does not work.
> >> Here is the smb.conf for the AD DC:
> >> # Global parameters[global]         dns forwarder = 78.110.208.34
> >>          netbios name = TESTADC1         realm = TESTDOM.TALPS
> >> server role = active directory domain controller         workgroup
> >> = TESTDOM         idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes         apply group
> >> policies = yes
> >> [sysvol]         path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol         read only =
> >> No [netlogon]         path
> >> = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/testdom.talps/scripts read only = No
> >> The only way to set password policies for the domain, still seems
> >> to be through samba-tool domain passwordsettings and the parameter
> >> "apply group policies" has got no effect at all.
> >> If I create a gpresult.html file on a Windows member PC, it shows
> >> the settings I have set with the Windows Group Policy Management
> >> Editor (GPME), but when setting a password for a user in Active
> >> Directory Users and Computers, the settings are not honored.
> >> In GPME there is also the folder Samba\smb.conf, where the
> >> different password policy parameters can be set. No effect at all.
> >> In practice, this is not a big deal. You probably set the domain
> >> password policies once, and forget about it.
> >> I'm not going to waste more time on this. Just use samba-tool
> >> domain passwordsettings for setting password policies, and forget
> >> about GPMC.
> > I would also note that the even better password polices - fine
> > grained password policies - (password setting objects) were never
> > available via GPMC and were always directly set to the directory.
> > We have good tooling for that in samba-tool, plus whatever windows
> > uses would edit the same LDAP attributes.
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for the information. In my setting, standard password policies
> are sufficient.
>
> Is it possible to set password policies at all using GPMC from RSAT?
> I did not succeed, as I wrote. It's not an important issue, however
> it would have been nice to be able to use one tool for everything. In
> a small setting like mine (about 40 users), I just set it once with
> samba-tool, and that's it. I would be very surprised if the need ever
> arises to change something there. I would sooner expect that there
> will be requirements for other types of authentication that are more
> secure in the not so far future.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

This got my interest, so I did a little testing from a win10 VM and
(for myself) GPME works up to a point.

I followed David Mulder's instructions, though there were a few errors,
I could easily set things in the GPME, but they didn't seem to affect
AD. I turned of password complexity and set min password length to 8,
this was not reflected in AD.
I then wondered if it was altering sysvol, so I checked and:

sudo cat /var/lib/samba/sysvol/samdom.example.com/Policies/'{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}'/MACHINE/Microsoft/'Windows NT'/SecEdit/GptTmpl.inf
��[Unicode]
Unicode=yes
[Version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Revision=1
[System Access]
MinimumPasswordLength = 8
PasswordComplexity = 0
[Registry Values]

And when I turned password complexity back on through GPME:

��[Unicode]
Unicode=yes
[Version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Revision=1
[System Access]
MinimumPasswordLength = 8
PasswordComplexity = 1
[Registry Values]

So it looks like it is halfway there, it is creating the GPO in sysvol.
I ran samba-gpupdate, but it either does nothing or crashes.

Rowland