[Samba] windows 10 on samba Version 4.3.11

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Aug 28 12:05:05 UTC 2023

On Mon, 28 Aug 2023 08:43:30 -0300
jmpatagonia via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Our big problem is that we use the samba 4.3.11 ldap schema to
> validate many applications, against samba, and added some attributes
> to the schema.

You can extend the AD schema, there is even a wiki page that might help:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_schema_extensions

> Basically we validate and authenticate our
> applications and 3rdparty (that use ldap) to this schema and work
> properly since years ago. And use a API to Add, modify, delete users
> and password.

What are these 'applications' ?
Perhaps someone is already using these applications with Samba AD.

> And the new versión of samba (4 AD) the schema is very different and
> the ldap database it is built-in, so we can externalice the ldap to
> maintenance our repository.
>
> So we want to keep samba 4.3.11 alive or make a project to move all to
> another schema

Samba is a rapidly moving system and 4.3.11 is extremely old, also the
old ldap based Samba relies heavily on SMBv1 and Samba is working hard
on removing this.
You can if you so wish, keep version 4.3.x going, but as it is EOL from
the Samba point of view, you are unlikely to get much, if any, support
from Samba.

As I said, give us a bit more information about how you are using Samba
now (what applications are authenticating from Samba and how) and we
will try to help you upgrade.

Rowland