[Samba] Samba migration to AD

Fabio Fantoni fabio.fantoni at m2r.biz
Mon Aug 28 11:38:40 UTC 2023

Il 27/08/2023 14:01, Trenta sis via samba ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I need to evaluate a migration of two samba DC to a native AD
> controller, reading wiki, appear that can join to windows 2008, but I
> can't find a full complete migration steps, anybody has experience
> about this migration from samba 4.4.5 to AD DC?
> What are the key on this migration?
>
> Thanks!

Hi, I did some tests in latest years to migrate domains with samba AD
domain controllers to windows AD domain controller.

Near all tests was adding windows 2008R2 before but all failed, tried to
follow some different howtos (major part is near the same) but windows
always fails to complete the first synchronization and even if I enabled
and synced SYSVOL manually the issue on windows persist and also trying
to force remove of samba DC and add other windows DC I've never been
able to get a consistent one (of windows DC).

small note, before there is to create two attributes
msDS-SDReferenceDomain in the "cn=configuration" (not all howto tell
them), in this for example that is also a script to do easy (is possible
to do also manually with "ADSI edit" from windows tools like what I did):

https://samba.tranquil.it/doc/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html

now that next samba version (4.19) add more functionality about domain
feature level I also tried to increase it for try adding directly
windows 2012r2 and windows 2019 servers, but I had 2 errors for now, one
reported and fixed and one report just now (however this is quite normal
with new version still in "rc" and a newly added feature, FL 2016 is
also partial). I think issues samba side can be solved,it's just a
matter of time, what which unfortunately are more difficult are the
windows ones.

Has anyone had success migrating from samba to windows and know how to
troubleshoot the windows DCs issue? I have not been able to find a
solution from online research and I have tried in many ways, now I just
have to try with higher domain feature level on more recent windows servers

thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english