[Samba] DFS questions...

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 20:58:13 UTC 2023

On 21-08-2023 22:18, Joachim Lindenberg via samba wrote:
> Hello Rowland,
> If someone wants full_audit, will adding 'vfs objects = full_audit' on a DC also have dfs_samba4 and acl_xattr enabled just because running on a DC, or would this cause both defaults to be turned off?
> Thanks,
> Joachim

I guess Rowland meant to say that you should not do without "acl_xattr",
which is a fair point.

For full_audit (which means full audit on file-share activities) you
need a little more options.

BTW. I am also using audit on authentication, which provides good
information in case someone has troubles logging in.

All together it becomes something like this:

log level = 3 auth_json_audit:3@/var/log/samba/audit_auth.log
full_audit:success = open fsync_recv fsync_send ftruncate pwrite
pwrite_recv pwrite_send renameat unlinkat write
full_audit:failure = open pread read
full_audit:prefix = samba: IP=%I|USER=%u|MACHINE=%m|VOLUME=%S
full_audit:facility = local6
full_audit:priority = NOTICE
max log size = 0
vfs objects = dfs_samba4, acl_xattr, full_audit

"auth_json_audit:3@/var/log/samba/audit_auth.log" -> this is the
authentication audit log.

"max log size = 0" ensures that Samba will not rotate the logs (chances
are real that you will lose log information). Do note that you will have
to take care of logrotation yourself by putting something in
/etc/logrotate.d, or your filesystem will fill up.

Set your own "full_audit:success" and "full_audit:failure" options to
tune what gets logged (too much will slow down your fileserver)

The filesystem audit log is written to syslog, to get it nicely in a
file next to the other samba logs, put this in
/etc/rsyslog.d/samba_audit_smb.conf:

# Prevent logging of 'smbd_audit' in syslog and messages
:programname, startswith, "smbd_audit" {
  -/var/log/samba/audit_smb.log
  stop
}

Restart samba and restart rsyslog.