[Samba] DFS questions...

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Mon Aug 21 11:43:22 UTC 2023

I have been looking into DFS (no R) with Samba and found the page https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distributed_File_System_(DFS) and do have some questions:

“There is currently (July 2014) a discussion in the mailing list in which several users report great difficulties with domain-based DFS in samba 4, maybe related with the implementation of smb protocol version 3.” – is this still true or has this been resolved in the meantime?

“but beware of the pitfalls of the vfs object option” – are these resolved? Or what should I read to understand these? Does this suggest to implement DFS shares on a DC as vfs is default or just the opposite?

“and the DFS names must be declared on each DC” – or other file server? DFS names refers to the “ln -s …” defined names or something else?

“DFS works only for Administrator in Samba 4.1.4, and requires a patch to work for all users.” – I suppose this is obsolete by now.

I also suppose I would have to define a DFS share with e.g. [dfsusers] in smb.conf, correct?

I admit I have never been running a samba file server (beyond sysvol on DCs) yet and my plan is to use DFS to point to windows file servers initially, probably using some sync tool.

Thanks,

Joachim