[Samba] Updating samba with bookworm-backports

spindles seven spindles7 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 15:54:43 UTC 2023

I have successfully updated several machines to Samba Version 4.18.4 using Debian's bookworm-backports repository, but one machine will not update.   It was happy to update to version 4.17.10 but when I try to upgrade to 4.18.4 I get:

roy at franks:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  libtalloc2 libtdb1 libtevent0 python3-talloc python3-tdb
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.

So I try:
roy at franks:~$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  libcups2 libyaml-0-2 python3-anyio python3-click python3-colorama
  python3-dnspython python3-gpg python3-h11 python3-h2 python3-hpack
  python3-httpcore python3-httpx python3-hyperframe python3-ldb
  python3-markdown python3-markdown-it python3-mdurl python3-pygments
  python3-requests-toolbelt python3-rfc3986 python3-rich python3-sniffio
  python3-yaml samba-ad-provision tdb-tools
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libnss-winbind libpam-winbind python3-samba python3-talloc python3-tdb samba
  samba-common-bin winbind
  libtalloc2 libtdb1 libtevent0
3 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 123 kB of archives.
After this operation, 33.2 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]n

That didn't sound god, so I try:

roy at franks:~$ sudo apt -t bookworm-backports install samba winbind
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 python3-samba : Depends: python3-tdb but it is not going to be installed

Any advice please?

Also I note only amd64 architecture is available in bookworm-backports.   Is there any plan to add other architectures - specifically arm64 etc?

Thanks,

Roy