[Samba] Domain Level and Forest Level raise

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 15 02:29:35 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-08-15 at 07:34 +0530, Anantha Raghava H A via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a test environment with Samba Version 4.18.5 which is set to
> Forest, Domain and lowest function Level of 2008 R2. I am trying to
> raise the forest and domain levels.
>
> However, when I try to raise the domain level, I get an error -
> "ERROR:
> Domain function level can't be higher than the lowest function level
> of
> a DC!" and when I try to raise the forest level I get an error -
> "Forest
> function level can't be higher than the domain function level(s).
> Please
> raise it/them first!".
>
>  From this what I understand is we have to first raise the lowest
> functional level to 2012 R2 before raising domain level and finally
> raise the forest level.
>
> But how do we raise the lowest function level using samba-tool or
> Active
> Directory Domains and Trusts tool? I am not able to find any
> reference
> or documentation. Or do we have to set it while provisioning the DC?

Samba 4.19 will help you a lot with this.  See the details, limitations
and documentation in the WHATSNEW.txt

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions