[Samba] Domain Level and Forest Level raise

Anantha Raghava H A raghav at exzatech.net
Tue Aug 15 02:04:54 UTC 2023

Hi,

We have a test environment with Samba Version 4.18.5 which is set to
Forest, Domain and lowest function Level of 2008 R2. I am trying to
raise the forest and domain levels.

However, when I try to raise the domain level, I get an error - "ERROR:
Domain function level can't be higher than the lowest function level of
a DC!" and when I try to raise the forest level I get an error - "Forest
function level can't be higher than the domain function level(s). Please
raise it/them first!".

 From this what I understand is we have to first raise the lowest
functional level to 2012 R2 before raising domain level and finally
raise the forest level.

But how do we raise the lowest function level using samba-tool or Active
Directory Domains and Trusts tool? I am not able to find any reference
or documentation. Or do we have to set it while provisioning the DC?

--

Thanks & Regards,

Anantha Raghava H A

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail communication and any attachments may be privileged and
confidential to Exzatech Consulting And Services Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore,
and are intended only for the use of the recipients named above If you
are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any
part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it
and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be
timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions.