[Samba] DNS Full export and reimport

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 9 08:19:35 UTC 2023

On 09/08/2023 05:10, Travis Wenks via samba wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have been testing and trying to muddle my way through this and am very
> confused
> The three things I found were 1 export to csv via the gui rsat tool dns.
> Looks like a list of a records and ns records but importing doesn't seem to
> use the file.
>
> The second is the powershell cmdlet export-dnsserverzone
>   Export-DNSServerZone "net.samdom.com" "net.samdom.com.bkup" -computername
> dc01
> Export-DNSServerZone : Failed to export the zone content for net.samdom.com
> on server dc01 to the file
> net.samdom.com.bkup.
> At line:1 char:1
> + Export-DNSServerZone "net.samdom.com" "net.samdom ...
> + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>      + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified:
> (net.samdom.com:root/Microsoft/...S_DnsServerZone)
> [Export-DnsS
>     erverZone], CimException
>      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WIN32 120,Export-DnsServerZone
> Something a bit off.
> The third way is
> dnscmd dc01 /zoneexport net.samdom.com net.samdom.com.dns.backup
>
> Command failed:       120    0x78
>
> It was pointed out in the wiki that the way to fix an old domain that was
> created on server 2003 is a full reimport via powershell.
> I am trying to do that or find another way eg rejoin an old 2008 server and
> upgrade with that before reverting back to samba.

The section of the wikipage that refers to using powershell was a added
by a person called Garming, perhaps he could tell us how this is
supposed to work.
As far as I am aware, the problem is that Windows 2k used a very
different AD dns structure, there wasn't a forest zone. This leads me to
believe that just exporting the dns records will not be enough, you will
very probably need to create the '_msdcs' subdomain.

Rowland