[Samba] DNS Full export and reimport

Travis Wenks travis at rosecitysolutions.com
Wed Aug 9 04:10:39 UTC 2023

Hi all

I have been testing and trying to muddle my way through this and am very
confused
The three things I found were 1 export to csv via the gui rsat tool dns.
Looks like a list of a records and ns records but importing doesn't seem to
use the file.

The second is the powershell cmdlet export-dnsserverzone
 Export-DNSServerZone "net.samdom.com" "net.samdom.com.bkup" -computername
dc01
Export-DNSServerZone : Failed to export the zone content for net.samdom.com
on server dc01 to the file
net.samdom.com.bkup.
At line:1 char:1
+ Export-DNSServerZone "net.samdom.com" "net.samdom ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified:
(net.samdom.com:root/Microsoft/...S_DnsServerZone)
[Export-DnsS
   erverZone], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WIN32 120,Export-DnsServerZone
Something a bit off.
The third way is
dnscmd dc01 /zoneexport net.samdom.com net.samdom.com.dns.backup

Command failed:       120    0x78

It was pointed out in the wiki that the way to fix an old domain that was
created on server 2003 is a full reimport via powershell.
I am trying to do that or find another way eg rejoin an old 2008 server and
upgrade with that before reverting back to samba.

We use sernet and are on 4.18.5 running on debian 12 so this is not an old
system.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.