[Samba] vfs ChDir failed: Permission denied

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Aug 8 08:04:06 UTC 2023

07.08.2023 22:27, Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba wrote:
> Just upgraded a file server to Samba 4.17.9-Debian
> and Bullseye (Debian 11).
>
> Noticed that am now getting a number of errors in the smbd log:
>
> 'chdir_current_service: vfs_Chfir (a-directory) failed.
> Permission Denied uid=................
>
> The uid on all the entries seems to correspond to a
> computer/machine account if I look it up with
> 'wbinfo --uid-info'.
>
> Thoughts?

This means your windows client is trying to access your share'
as machine acount, - most likely an anti-virus service or somesuch.

Please either ensure your machine accounts has access to the service
directory (whole path obviously), or just ignore these errors,
and live with no anti-virus protection but faster access :)

/mjt