[Samba] vfs ChDir failed: Permission denied

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Tue Aug 8 07:48:37 UTC 2023

On 07.08.2023 21:27, Marco Shmerykowsky PE via samba wrote:
> Just upgraded a file server to Samba 4.17.9-Debian
> and Bullseye (Debian 11).
>
> Noticed that am now getting a number of errors in the smbd log:
>
> 'chdir_current_service: vfs_Chfir (a-directory) failed.
> Permission Denied uid=................
>
> The uid on all the entries seems to correspond to a
> computer/machine account if I look it up with
> 'wbinfo --uid-info'.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thank you

Hi Marco,

I setup a member server with Debian Bookworm and Samba 4.17.4 in
January, and I noticed the same messages in the logs. I also posted a
question to the list about those errors at the time, and also reported
it to the Samba Bugzilla. So far I have not seen any explanations or
solutions. The error messages still occur through several Samba updates,
currently 4.17.9 from the Debian repo.

In practice however, it just seems to be noise in the log files. From
the users' point of view, everything is working as intended.

HTH.

Best regards,

Peter