[Samba] Raspberry as AD Server

Paul Leiber paul at onlineschubla.de
Mon Aug 7 21:27:40 UTC 2023

Am 07.08.2023 um 11:45 schrieb samba at laurenz.ws:
> excatly

Just to point out the available options how to get newer Samba packages
on a Raspberry Pi (apologies if all that is common knowledge): It is
possible to install plain Debian, not Raspbian, on a Raspbery Pi. I have
it running on a RPi4B, and the installation process following
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=282839 was not really
complicated.

I am not sure if the same is possible for earlier RPi versions, as there
seems to be a difference in the boot sequence (something with the
bootloader in the GPU or so).

I have a Samba AD-DC running on Debian 12 on a Raspberry Pi 4B right now.

(To be very precise, Samba is currently running in a Debian 12 VM on Xen
on the Raspberry Pi. But that shouldn't make any difference, as the
first step when installing Xen was installing Debian 12 on the Raspberry
Pi, as described above. I didn't try to install Samba on the bare metal
Debian system, but I wouldn't expect any issues doing that, once Debian
is running.)

Paul