[Samba] compiling samba..

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Thu Aug 3 20:24:33 UTC 2023

>> 1.	I am wondering why https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source suggests to use wget instead of just git clone https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba.git >>and then checking out a release branch. Or are these really different?

>Yes they are different, if you use git, you will either download the latest Samba (which is still being worked on) or a branch that has been packed up and released, in which case it is >easier to use wget to download the tarball.

samba-4.18.5.tar.gz differs from branch 4.18.5 ?? When do you tag what?

>The scripts all exist, but the table hasn't been updated to link to them.
>I think the table wasn't my best idea in hindsight.  It is hard to update (I locked it to administrator so someone wouldn't be able to link to a malicious script) and has to be updated each >release.

In other words, the pointer in https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source# "Compiling Samba requires only a few steps: Install all dependencies. See Package Dependencies Required to Build Samba." could be replaced by get sources first, cd to bootstrap/generated-dists/<distrowithversion>, execute bootstrap.sh get deps?

I tried, and configure returned success.

I am willing to update https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source if you agree..

Thanks,
Joachim