[Samba] compiling samba..

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 3 19:37:36 UTC 2023

On 03/08/2023 20:25, Joachim Lindenberg via samba wrote:
> I am trying to compile samba for the first time and ran into several issues that might be obvious for all team members but not for me and I think documentation could be improved/updated.
>

> 1.	I am wondering why https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source suggests to use wget instead of just git clone https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba.git and then checking out a release branch. Or are these really different?

Yes they are different, if you use git, you will either download the
latest Samba (which is still being worked on) or a branch that has been
packed up and released, in which case it is easier to use wget to
download the tarball.

> 2.	The package dependencies at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Package_Dependencies_Required_to_Build_Samba#Debian_/_Ubuntu don´t work well for me. For one I think it would help to update them to (most) recent distributions (I am trying on Ubuntu 22.04.2), but I believe I managed that part.

Did you miss this line:

This list is for older Samba versions (4.10 and earlier) and
distributions not included in the table above

Though that could be better, 22.04 isn't in the table above, so use
20.04, that will be a lot nearer than the manual list.

Rowland