[Samba] Default Samba version in Debian Bookworm

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Apr 30 10:30:05 UTC 2023

On 30/04/2023 11:24, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

> On 30-04-2023 12:04, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>>> Hi Kees, Rowland,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your comments. I guess backports are still quite useful,
>>> as they are "official". Another option is switching to Archlinux.
>>> It's always the bleeding edge, but I'm quite reluctant to take that
>>> path. I've been severely bitten on a couple of occasions, when
>>> updates broke the installations. So that's really a last resort. Only
>>> for non critical applications.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Yes, backports are very useful, but all I am saying is that (and I am
>> guessing here) I wouldn't expect bookworm-backports to appear
>> immediately and when it does, Samba 4.18 will still have to migrate
>> from experimental before it can be backported to bookworm-backports.
>>
>> I see nothing wrong with using Michaels repo for testing purposes, I
>> just wouldn't use it in production. Not that there is likely to be
>> anything wrong with those Samba packages, it is just that you need to
>> be 110% sure about ongoing support and sadly, look what happened with
>> Louis's repo.
>>
>> Rowland
>>
> You can also create the packages yourself, nearly all the work is
> already done by the Debian maintainer.
>
> Download the sources in the desired version(-tag) from:
> https://salsa.debian.org/samba-team/samba.git and build the packages.
>
> There are a lot ways to build deb-packages, right now I use the debian
> docker builder for that https://github.com/tsaarni/docker-deb-builder.git.
> Apart from docker there is nothing you need to setup on your machine.
> The result are identical packages as what would be delivered by the
> debian repo (for that specific version). And since you do it yourself
> you are not dependent on whoever's repos. More or less as fast as
> Archlinux but on Debian!
>
> - Kees.

The problem with that idea (and there is nothing really wrong with it),
not all people can or want to build Samba in any shape or form. If it
works for you, then great, but it will not work for everyone, most
people just want to install from a repo and leave the updating problems
to someone else.

Rowland