[Samba] Default Samba version in Debian Bookworm

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Sun Apr 30 10:13:13 UTC 2023

30.04.2023 11:20, Rowland Penny via samba пишет:
..
> There is a big problem with this, bookworm hasn't been released yet and as far as I can see, there isn't a bookworm-backports yet.
> The only mention of Samba 4.18 that I can see in Debian is in experimental, a long way from any backports.

No, there's no long way to bookworm-backports.

I use experimental just because debian is frozen now, and uploading new
stuff not targetting bookworm to unstable will be difficult to handle.
It is debian internals, nothing to worry about.

The bottom line is that I'll upload 4.18 to debian unstable right after
the bookworm release, and that will be the day bookworm-backports will
open too. The unstable release, which is well-polished already will
migrate to testing within 5 days, and that's when 4.18 will be available
in bookworm-backports too.

It is not that 4.18 in debian is "experimental" in status, it is just
because the freeze that makes uploading new to unstable more difficult,
so all preparations are temporarily done in experimental. If we weren't
in freeze, I'd upload 4.18 to unstable and it'd be already available in
bullseye-backports too.

/mjt