[Samba] Default Samba version in Debian Bookworm

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Apr 30 10:04:10 UTC 2023

On 30/04/2023 10:52, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:

> On 30.04.2023 10:51, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

>>> I do not know, I am just guessing, but, as bookworm hasn't been
>>> released yet, i wouldn't expect to see bookworm-backports
>>> immediately, that would be like Debian announcing bookworm but also
>>> saying that it is full of old software.
>>> There is also the fact that 4.18 is only in experimental and would
>>> need to progress to sid before it can get into any backports repo.
>>>
>>> We really need Michael to comment here.
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>>

>> Perhaps bookworm-backports  is less important since 4.18 for bookworm
>> is available from Michael's repo.
>>
>> - Kees.
>>

> Hi Kees, Rowland,
>
> Thanks for your comments. I guess backports are still quite useful, as
> they are "official". Another option is switching to Archlinux. It's
> always the bleeding edge, but I'm quite reluctant to take that path.
> I've been severely bitten on a couple of occasions, when updates broke
> the installations. So that's really a last resort. Only for non critical
> applications.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter

Yes, backports are very useful, but all I am saying is that (and I am
guessing here) I wouldn't expect bookworm-backports to appear
immediately and when it does, Samba 4.18 will still have to migrate from
experimental before it can be backported to bookworm-backports.

I see nothing wrong with using Michaels repo for testing purposes, I
just wouldn't use it in production. Not that there is likely to be
anything wrong with those Samba packages, it is just that you need to be
110% sure about ongoing support and sadly, look what happened with
Louis's repo.

Rowland