[Samba] Default Samba version in Debian Bookworm

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Sun Apr 30 09:52:29 UTC 2023

On 30.04.2023 10:51, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

> On 30-04-2023 10:46, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>>> Hi Rowland,
>>>
>>> According to the link in Yvan's post, the official release date of
>>> Bookworm is 10 June. So you imply that it will take quite a while
>>> before Samba 4.18 gets into Bookworm backports? In that case I will
>>> consider the appropriate packages from Michael's repository.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the information, every bit helps.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> I do not know, I am just guessing, but, as bookworm hasn't been
>> released yet, i wouldn't expect to see bookworm-backports
>> immediately, that would be like Debian announcing bookworm but also
>> saying that it is full of old software.
>> There is also the fact that 4.18 is only in experimental and would
>> need to progress to sid before it can get into any backports repo.
>>
>> We really need Michael to comment here.
>>
>> Rowland
>>

> Perhaps bookworm-backports  is less important since 4.18 for bookworm
> is available from Michael's repo.
>
> - Kees.

Hi Kees, Rowland,

Thanks for your comments. I guess backports are still quite useful, as
they are "official". Another option is switching to Archlinux. It's
always the bleeding edge, but I'm quite reluctant to take that path.
I've been severely bitten on a couple of occasions, when updates broke
the installations. So that's really a last resort. Only for non critical
applications.

Best regards,

Peter