[Samba] DNS problems (still) with Linux domain members - using Samba's internal DNS backend

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Sat Apr 29 17:58:35 UTC 2023

On 2023-04-29 04:07, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On 28/04/2023 20:28, Gary Dale via samba wrote:
>> On 2023-04-28 13:49, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>> Can I ask, how old are you and how old do you think I am ?
>>>
>>> Rowland
>>
>> I'm 70 and have been working with computers & programming since the
>> late 60s. I got my first home computer in 1978.
>>
>> I have no idea how old you are but the dig against millennials was
>> more about the current round of Samba developers and even it was
>> delivered with a wink.
>>

> You are just slightly older than myself, 67, and my first computer was
> a UK101, closely followed by a Sinclair ZX80, so yes, I remember peek
> & poke etc.
>
> If I can understand that AD is way ahead of anything Linux can offer,
> why cannot you ???
>
> As for the actual Samba developers, whilst there are a lot of young
> ones (but then everyone is young to me now), there are quite a few
> that have been working on Samba for over 20 years.
>
> You might be 70, but you are coming over like a teenager!
>
> Rowland

My first computer was an Apple ][ Plus with the USCD Pascal system on
it. I later incorporated a CP/M card into it and even did some
development work on it in Turbo Pascal. I note that the mild extensions
Turbo Pascal included actually allowed you to accomplish pretty much the
same thing that UCSD Pascal's more extensive extensions did - the
ability of records to include procedures and functions let them stand in
for UCSD units.

I started with FORTRAN though, and quickly came to realize that it's
best feature was it was too stupid to know you were doing something
wrong - a failing that it shared with C and COBOL. I could never really
understand why C programmers thought their language was so good when by
any reasonable benchmark, it was no better than any other compiled
language. It only excelled in producing small programs when you needed
only the most basic of libraries to be linked in. I'm glad to see the
kernel developers are finally moving away from it.

I blame this mostly on few men knowing how to type in the 1960s and 70s.
They preferred languages that didn't use words when they could use a
single character instead. I actually recognized the value of keyboard
skills so I took a typing class in high school. I didn't mind languages
that were designed to be readable.

Your objections to me asking questions reflects a human failing. People
tend to view questioning their advice as attacking their expertise.
However, I'm not you and my situation isn't yours. I don't believe that
one size fits all. While you've been a tremendous help in getting my AD
setup running again, I'm glad that Christian and Andrew have provided
the additional details that I perhaps can use to make it work the way it
used to.

That too is a human failing. I don't like having to change how I do
things unless there are some really good reasons. In my case, managing
accounts and passwords isn't all that important except on the Windows side.