[Samba] Get the reverse zone working

matti.kaupenjohann matti.kaupenjohann at fh-dortmund.de
Wed Apr 26 18:04:14 UTC 2023

Am 4/26/23 um 19:33 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:

> On 26/04/2023 18:24, matti.kaupenjohann via samba wrote:
>>> Is this a typo, I would expect 0.99.10.in-addr.arpa, based on
>>> '10.99.0.2'
>> yes you are absolutely right and that helped me to find my other
>> typo. While I was correcting the command:
>>
>> samba-tool dns add adc01.heim.lan 20.10.10.in-addr.arpa 220 PTR
>> adc01.heim.lan -Uadministrator

>> samba-tool dns add dc01.heim.lan 0.99.10.in-addr.arpa *2* PTR
>> adc01.heim.lan -Uadministrator
>>
>> I recognized that I also forgot to change the last octet of my ip
>> address. I think that was the issue on my first approach as well but
>> sadly impossible to resolve after the reset.
>>
>> Nevertheless, after deleting the false created zone and creating the
>> correct one I was able to resolve the reverse  lookup.
>>
>> After reading two different documentations about the setup, the wrong
>> set octet is easily overseen in both texts. Maybe a change in the
>> command or documentation could address this issue?
>>
>> Thanks so far
>>
>> Matti
>>

> The problem is that you are the one creating the reversezone, now you
> created 0.99.10.in-addr.arpa, but you could have created
> 99.10.in-addr.arpa, in which case your ip to add could be '2.99'
> I will see if the documentation can be made clearer.
>
> Rowland

Seems reasonable. This creates another question for me: if my
reversezone is 99.10 and my network is a class B network, this seems to
be right, but if instead of a subnetmask 12 my network is not a class B
network and is instead divided in a smaller subnets with as example
subnetmask 20? Should I still create a zone for the class B network or
how should it look like?

As  an example:

subnet1: 172.16.0.0/20
subnet2: 172.16.16.0/20

So if I create the reveresezone for both together the correct way would
be: 16.172.in-addr.arpa?

But for whatever use case, if I want two seperate zones, what should it
look like?

Matti