[Samba] Help installing Samba 4.18.1

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:25:12 UTC 2023

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 12:14 PM Michael Tokarev <mjt at tls.msk.ru> wrote:

> 24.04.2023 04:21, Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba пишет:
> > On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:47 AM Brandon C Wheeler via samba
> > <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Red Hat 8.7 Oopta
> >
> > Samba 4.18.2. I just updated my RPM building tools at
> > https://github.com/nkadel/ansiblerepo to support  that. I last updated
> > those tools less than 24 hours ago.
> >
> > The ldb, tdb, and other critical libraries need to be more recent than
> > those used by RHEL for sssd, and attempting to replace them rather
> > than use bundled copies in Samba can cause.... conflicts.
>
> talloc, tevent and tdb are all backwards-compatible so far.
> I can't say for any future release of those libs, maybe someday
> some incompatibiluty will happen. But during a few recent samba
> releases (4.13..4.18), the ABI in these libs is completely
> backwards compatible.

That's not the problem. The problem is that the minor library versions
have updated since those compilled into tool suites like sssd, which
is a confusing beast integrated into current RHEL releases and has its
own versions of various daemons built on top of Samba published
libraries. Trying to replace those libraries in place to satisfy Samba
dependencies conflicts with the minor releases used by sssd, and
hilarity ensues. It's why my RPM building tools are using the
"--private-libraries" option. Similar conflicts with the MIT version
of Kerberos used by RHEL, and the not yet stable compatibility tools
for that Kerberos, are why my tools build with the Heimdal versions of
Kerberos included in the Samba source code.

These settings are important to be able to provide leading or bleeding
edge versions of Samba on RHEL.

> Speaking of ldb, things are a bit more interesting in there.
> But the interface is still - by fact, not by contract - is
> backwards-compatible in parts needed by sssd.  More recent
> samba needs more recent libldb, including minor/stable
> releases, since quite often stuff is fixed in libldb and
> the new interface is immediately being used by samba, esp.
> the ad-dc code.

Which is fine, but does litle good satisfying the existing version
dependencies of system interwoven tools like sssd. I have other issues
with sssd, but rebuilding it with new ldb releases is... beyond the
scope of anything I'm willing to take on for this personal hobby.

> There's another issue with sssd: it is libndr.so soname bump
> which happened a few times during recent samba releases.
> This lib is also used by sssd.  But here, actual user-visible
> ABI of the library hasn't changed, so it's okay to create
> temporary compat links libndr.so.1 and libndr.so.2 pointing
> to libndr.so.3.

"Creating temporary hooks" means replacing RPM published links That
way lies hilarity, especially if the RHEL published libraries or
software get updated and conflict with Samba provided RPMs for libldb,
libtevent, etc., etc. This way lies madness, or at least a lot of
hilarity I'd not like to splice the laugh track for.