[Samba] Help installing Samba 4.18.1

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Mon Apr 24 16:14:54 UTC 2023

24.04.2023 04:21, Nico Kadel-Garcia via samba пишет:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 11:47 AM Brandon C Wheeler via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>
>> Red Hat 8.7 Oopta
>
> Samba 4.18.2. I just updated my RPM building tools at
> https://github.com/nkadel/ansiblerepo to support  that. I last updated
> those tools less than 24 hours ago.
>
> The ldb, tdb, and other critical libraries need to be more recent than
> those used by RHEL for sssd, and attempting to replace them rather
> than use bundled copies in Samba can cause.... conflicts.

talloc, tevent and tdb are all backwards-compatible so far.
I can't say for any future release of those libs, maybe someday
some incompatibiluty will happen. But during a few recent samba
releases (4.13..4.18), the ABI in these libs is completely
backwards compatible.

Speaking of ldb, things are a bit more interesting in there.
But the interface is still - by fact, not by contract - is
backwards-compatible in parts needed by sssd.  More recent
samba needs more recent libldb, including minor/stable
releases, since quite often stuff is fixed in libldb and
the new interface is immediately being used by samba, esp.
the ad-dc code.

There's another issue with sssd: it is libndr.so soname bump
which happened a few times during recent samba releases.
This lib is also used by sssd.  But here, actual user-visible
ABI of the library hasn't changed, so it's okay to create
temporary compat links libndr.so.1 and libndr.so.2 pointing
to libndr.so.3.

FWIW.

/mjt