[Samba] Design conflict between samba and NFS

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Apr 22 15:08:15 UTC 2023

On 22/04/2023 15:51, Sac Isilia via samba wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> We have multiple cloud accounts in AWS that uses both file shares and
> printer shares . There are mainly either Linux(server) to Linux (client) or
> Linux(server) to windows(client) shares and very small fraction of shares
> from windows (server) to Linux(client).
>
> Can we go for samba for both Linux to Linux and Linux to windows for both
> file and printer shares? Or do we go for NFS in Linux to Linux for file and
> printer shares?

Whilst Samba can be used for Linux clients, you can also use NFS, it is
basically what works for you. Having said that, if you are using Samba
for the Windows clients, it makes sense to use it for everything, just
one thing to set up and maintain.

> Also we use centrify client to authenticate AD users. Can someone guide me
> what will be the best practice for above scenario?

Unless there is someone who is using centrify and is willing to share
their knowledge, then this is doubtful, Samba has no connection with
centrify, so you would be better off asking them.

Having said that, you could probably replace centrify with Samba alone.

Rowland