[Samba] Get the reverse zone working

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 21 16:46:51 UTC 2023

On 21/04/2023 17:41, matti.kaupenjohann via samba wrote:
>> Is that exactly what was returned ? (including the two dots between
>> in-addr and arpa)
> yes you are right that was a typo in the mail: "Host
> 2.0.99.10.in-addr.arpa. not  found: 3(NXDOMAIN)"
>
>> What does 'sudo samba-tool dns zonelist dc1 --reverse' produce ?
>> Where 'dc1' is your DC's hostname
>
> my DC hostname is dc01. The command you gave me returns a quite long
> output about "GENSEC" and also something interesting:
>
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name dc01<0x20>
>
> startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /etc/samba/lmhosts. Error was No
> such file or diresctory. further it seems I am unable to use the domain
> user flag -Uadministrator because no matter what password I enter:
>
> Received smb_krb5 packet of length 293
> Received smb_krb5 packet of length 246
>
> and then again the password prompt.
>
> The long output or the auth fail did not happend last time. It seems
> something went wrong and I am unable to determine where. Probably a
> complete reset might be the only help?
>
> Greetings

Add '-d0' on the end of the command, you can and should ignore all that
output, you should get something like this:

sudo samba-tool dns zonelist rpidc1 --reverse -d0
Password for [rowland at SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM]:
   1 zone(s) found

   pszZoneName                 : 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
   Flags                       : DNS_RPC_ZONE_DSINTEGRATED
DNS_RPC_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
   ZoneType                    : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
   Version                     : 50
   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED
DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT DNS_DP_ENLISTED
   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.samdom.example.com

Rowland