[Samba] Is LDAP + Kerberos without Active Directory no longer supported?

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Fri Apr 14 19:49:14 UTC 2023

> On 14/04/2023 18:37, Ralph Boehme via samba wrote:

>>> Whatever happens, you are going to have to join a computer to a KDC,
>>> I just used what I know as a proof of concept.
>>> The problem, as far as I could see, is that the fileserver has to
>>> have a 'cifs' SPN and I could only get this on a joined computer. I
>>> could get a kerberos ticket on the client from the AD DC (KDC), but
>>> couldn't do anything with it, because of the lack of the cifs SPN.

>>> No idea, I have no use for such a set up, so have never tried. I
>>> think, unless someone has already done what you require, you may be
>>> on your own.
>>
>> this has been a quite common setup in certain environment. Iirc it
>> should still work. Iirc when we applied security hardening recently we
>> change to reject service tickets with a PAC when we're running in
>> security=user mode, but the details escape my mind.
>>
>> -slow
>>

> It may be a common setup, but it isn't one I have come across before
> (which doesn't mean much), but I think I have proof it should still
> work, but perhaps just not as it did.
> It doesn't help that Daniel isn't sure what version of Samba he was
> using and on what version of Debian (?). If we could find out these, we
> may be able to track down what changed and when.
>
> Rowland

FYI perhaps involved

Microsoft crashed a lot of Linux Kerberos machines at my AD site by an
update in November
2022

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/resolved-issues-windows-server-2022#2953msgdesc

they fixed it later with

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/windows-message-center#2961

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG, 80333 München