[Samba] Is LDAP + Kerberos without Active Directory no longer supported?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 14 18:01:08 UTC 2023

On 14/04/2023 18:37, Ralph Boehme via samba wrote:
> On 4/14/23 19:20, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

>>> The problem is that number 2 here is talking to an AD DC, what I want
>>> is number 2 here is talking to a KDC.
>>
>> Whatever happens, you are going to have to join a computer to a KDC, I
>> just used what I know as a proof of concept.
>> The problem, as far as I could see, is that the fileserver has to have
>> a 'cifs' SPN and I could only get this on a joined computer. I could
>> get a kerberos ticket on the client from the AD DC (KDC), but couldn't
>> do anything with it, because of the lack of the cifs SPN.
>>

>>> How do I make the unix samba server authenticate the client without
>>> an AD but with a simple KDC?
>>
>> No idea, I have no use for such a set up, so have never tried. I
>> think, unless someone has already done what you require, you may be on
>> your own.
>
> this has been a quite common setup in certain environment. Iirc it
> should still work. Iirc when we applied security hardening recently we
> change to reject service tickets with a PAC when we're running in
> security=user mode, but the details escape my mind.
>
> -slow

It may be a common setup, but it isn't one I have come across before
(which doesn't mean much), but I think I have proof it should still
work, but perhaps just not as it did.
It doesn't help that Daniel isn't sure what version of Samba he was
using and on what version of Debian (?). If we could find out these, we
may be able to track down what changed and when.

Rowland