[Samba] Is LDAP + Kerberos without Active Directory no longer supported?

Daniel Lakeland dlakelan at street-artists.org
Fri Apr 14 16:48:06 UTC 2023

> This intrigued me, so I went and tried this and you need three computers:
>
> A samba AD DC (perhaps a computer just running a KDC, but I didn't try
> this)
> A Samba Unix domain member running as a fileserver
> A Samba Standalone server as the client

The problem is that number 2 here is talking to an AD DC, what I want is
number 2 here is talking to a KDC.

How do I make the unix samba server authenticate the client without an
AD but with a simple KDC?

What I'm getting from this conversation is "Samba dropped the ability to
authenticate to a KDC which is not an AD DC" but no-one seems to be able
to confirm or deny this or provide settings which I should try to test
this. It appears that after 30 years Microsoft's strategy of "Embrace,
Extend, and Extinguish" is complete...