[Samba] Unable to "rejoin" existing DC after upgrade (infamous WERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 14 13:32:42 UTC 2023

On 14/04/2023 14:20, Luis Peromarta via samba wrote:
> Apologies. Now I get it. Only one SRV record for the PCD emulator. I will delete the other 2.

Yes, one PDC_Emulator, one dns record.

> If I transfer the FSMO role will that be updated then ?

On a samba AD DC, the samba_dnsupdate script is run at start up and then
every 10 minutes, this script uses a file called dns_update_list and if
a required dns record is missing, it is created. One of these records is
this:

# The PDC emulator
${IF_PDC}SRV        _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.${DNSDOMAIN}  ${HOSTNAME} 389

If you move the PDC emulator role to another DC, the required SRV record
will be created, but there is no code to delete the old record.

> The other FSMO roles,  also have / need DNS entries unique to only the machine that has the role ?

No, it is just the PDC emulator role, because there can only be one.

Rowland