[Samba] Need SMB server / client tuning help

Swapneel More swapmore15 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 11:16:52 UTC 2023

Although we reached out to Hitachi support, we didn't specifically request
for the smb.conf file from them. As a result, we're uncertain about the
status of their Samba version, whether it's in standard or mangled form,
and whether they're capable of providing us with the smb.conf file.

I was wondering if there are any specific parameters or information that we
should check from the HNAS samba server side to address the slowness issue
we're experiencing with a particular share that contains a large number of
smaller files, apart from the smb.conf file. Additionally, I was wondering
if you could advise on the specific details we should look for in the SMB
protocol perspective when analyzing network traffic captures using
Wireshark.

Although Microsoft provides the robocopy tool, it has been observed to have
lower throughput when copying a large number of smaller files from the SMB
share.

I also wanted to ask if increasing the number of connections between the
client and server and using multiple NIC cards at the SMB client side for
multichanneling could potentially improve the performance, especially
copying millions of smaller files from the share. Or are there any
limitations within the SMB protocol when copying a large number of smaller
files from the share?

I appreciate any advice or guidance you can provide on this matter. Thank
you.

Thanks & regards,
Swapnil M