[Samba] Samba Update to 4.14 on Debian Buster - apt warnings and errors

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 21 10:50:05 UTC 2022

On 21/09/2022 11:25, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how to upgrade a DC was communicated differently by multiple people
> multiple times.
>
> Usually I'd just upgrade "in place" via apt repository. So upgrading
> 4.14 to 4.15 by changing the repository URL and running apt dist-upgrade.
>
> A few times on this mailing list another procedure was advised:
>
> Demote DC with 4.14, uninstall samba 4.14, delete all files from it.
>
> Install samba 4.15 & join domain again.
>
> Thats the source of the confusion Rowland.
>
> Can you clear that up? Thanks!
>
> Matthias.

There are basically three ways to upgrade a DC:

1) You can just upgrade the distro packages in place, this has worked
okay for myself in the past. The only downside to this is if there is a
problem with the distro packages, you may not be able to roll back easily.

2) You create a new computer, install the latest Samba packages on this
and then join the domain as a DC. This is the easiest to roll back from
if there are any problems, you just demote it and turn it off.

3) Take an existing DC, demote it, remove Samba (this is because Samba
sometimes removes files and the packages don't), install the new Samba
and re-join the domain.

If you do have problems with '1', you can also demote this and add
another DC to replace it, provide it isn't the only domain in the
domain, this is one reason to run multiple DC's

I tend to use '1' to upgrade minor Samba versions, e.g. 4.x.1 to 4.x.2
If I was to upgrade to a 'major' version e.g. 4.16.x to 4.17.x , then I
would use either '2' or '3'.

Rowland