[Samba] Samba Update to 4.14 on Debian Buster - apt warnings and errors

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Sep 21 10:45:26 UTC 2022

On Wed, 2022-09-21 at 12:25 +0200, Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold AG via
samba wrote:
> Hello,
> how to upgrade a DC was communicated differently by multiple people
> multiple times.
> Usually I'd just upgrade "in place" via apt repository. So upgrading
> 4.14 to 4.15 by changing the repository URL and running apt dist-
> upgrade.
> A few times on this mailing list another procedure was advised:
> Demote DC with 4.14, uninstall samba 4.14, delete all files from it.
> Install samba 4.15 & join domain again.
> Thats the source of the confusion Rowland.
> Can you clear that up? Thanks!

Both are valid and supported.  See
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Upgrading_a_Samba_AD_DC
We often suggest the network approach as you don't take down a DC until
you have built and connected the new one that replaces it.
This also encourages an upgrade of the host OS, something that is often
not considered if upgrading in-place.
Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead, Catalyst IT   https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Samba Development and Support, Catalyst IT - Expert Open SourceSolutions