[Samba] 4.17?

William Edwards wedwards at cyberfusion.nl
Sat Oct 22 09:42:00 UTC 2022

Lorenzo Milesi via samba schreef op 2022-10-21 22:03:
>> Great for what? Why someone wants to stick with 4.16 or 4.15?
>
> For whatever reason I don't strictly need to know. What's the issue
> with this?
> Why so much discussion over an optional opportunity?

Because it places an additional burden on the maintainer for little
benefit.

I believe your use case is *reproducibility*. For example, it *could* be
useful to have the *ability* to install a new system with an older
version.

I can't speak for the Samba and Debian project, but I can imagine that
it comes down to the following cost-benefit analysis:

- Give *some* users the *ability* to *potentially* install an *old*
version.
- - This has to be maintained. Like Andrew said: "[...] if anyone start
to provide packages, that folks soon start to expect that these packages
be kept up to date."
- - It's usually in a software project's best interests for many users
to run the newest version.
- Spend time that can't be spent on features and quality improvements
that *all* users will *definitely* benefit from.

--
With kind regards,

William Edwards