[Samba] Samba, Bind, and Kea DHCP

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 18 06:15:59 UTC 2022

On 18/10/2022 05:17, fisherking via samba wrote:
> On 10/17/2022 10:29 AM, ralph strebbing via samba wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I recently came across one of the other projects of ISC when browsing
>> their website. That project being Kea DHCP (https://www.isc.org/kea/).
>>
>>   From what I'm reading, it's a bit more modern than ISC DHCP, and we
>> were considering potentially switching to it. However, I wanted to
>> poll the list here to see if anyone has messed with this yet so far as
>> DNS integration etc.
>>
>> Right now, with ISC DHCP there is a script that hooks into each new
>> lease, renewal, and expiration that updates bind and therefor Samba.
>> I'm wondering if the same script can be used, if it can't, does anyone
>> have any solutions in place? Are there any considerations we should be
>> aware of in general by switching out the DHCP server software?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ralph
>>
> A quick look at the documentation
> (https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/ddns.html) makes it look
> like kea already has the functionality built in for this. It just needs
> to be configured. So - different scripts, but the capability appears to
> be there.
>
> Granted - that was just based on a quick look...

Yes, it does look like it can be done, but it will not be as straight
forward has it is now.

The basis is here:

https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/hooks.html#run-script-run-script-support-for-external-hook-scripts

At this point, I have no real idea how to extract the IP, hostname etc
and no real way of testing, because even though they have taken the
decision to EOL isc-dhcp-server at the end of the year, Debian only has
usable Kea packages in Bookworm.

Rowland