[Samba] Samba, Bind, and Kea DHCP

fisherking fisherking at t1.hinmans.net
Tue Oct 18 04:17:20 UTC 2022

On 10/17/2022 10:29 AM, ralph strebbing via samba wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I recently came across one of the other projects of ISC when browsing
> their website. That project being Kea DHCP (https://www.isc.org/kea/).
>
>  From what I'm reading, it's a bit more modern than ISC DHCP, and we
> were considering potentially switching to it. However, I wanted to
> poll the list here to see if anyone has messed with this yet so far as
> DNS integration etc.
>
> Right now, with ISC DHCP there is a script that hooks into each new
> lease, renewal, and expiration that updates bind and therefor Samba.
> I'm wondering if the same script can be used, if it can't, does anyone
> have any solutions in place? Are there any considerations we should be
> aware of in general by switching out the DHCP server software?
>
> Thanks,
> Ralph

A quick look at the documentation
(https://kea.readthedocs.io/en/kea-2.2.0/arm/ddns.html) makes it look
like kea already has the functionality built in for this. It just needs
to be configured. So - different scripts, but the capability appears to
be there.

Granted - that was just based on a quick look...