[Samba] long scripts

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 14 15:48:38 UTC 2022

On 14/10/2022 16:37, David Mulder via samba wrote:

> On 10/14/22 9:31 AM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>>
>> There is a bit of a problem with oddjob-gpupdate, it isn't available
>> on Debian and Ubuntu uses adsys which seems to require sssd.
>>

> Yeah, I think only RH/SUSE have packaged oddjob-gpupdate. samba-gpupdate
> works fine with sssd, but requires oddjob-gpupdate. Anybody know a
> Debian maintainer we could bring this up with? I don't even know how to
> build a debian package.
>
> A work around on Debian/Ubuntu would be to create a system cron job that
> runs samba-gpupdate every 90 minutes.

The only Debian maintainer I really know of is someone called Andrew
Bartlett, don't think he will be interested :-D

The other thing is, I do not understand why people use sssd on a Samba
Unix domain member. If you are running Samba with 'security = ADS', then
you need to run winbind, if you are running winbind, why would you run
sssd ? It is just another conf file to configure and gives you very
little that winbind doesn't and winbind gives you things that sssd
doesn't, like fileshares.

Rowland