[Samba] Spotlight with elasticsearch backend on OSX13

Computerisms Corporation bob at computerisms.ca
Sun Nov 27 21:37:22 UTC 2022

Hey All,

I have setup a samba fileserver in workgroup config with installed
elasticsearch and fscrawler backend.
On my setup, the search function using OSX has been a little flaky, and
does not return any results most of the time.
I have deployed the same setup on multiple fileservers with many
combinations with no luck.
I went through the past emails in the mailing list and fixed a could
things in the smb.conf and still unable to search reliably.

for eg. when I search on the "network" or "Shared", it returns some
search results but when using the same search string on the mounted
volume, I get no results.

my smb.conf
[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    logging = file
    log level = 5
    server role = standalone server
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    unix password sync = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    map to guest = bad user
    usershare allow guests = yes
    nt acl support = no
    spotlight backend = elasticsearch
    elasticsearch:address = 192.168.2.3
    elasticsearch:port = 9200
    elasticsearch:ignore unknown attribute = yes
    elasticsearch:ignore unknown type = yes
    elasticsearch:index = _all
    elasticsearch:mappings =
/usr/share/samba/mdssvc/elasticsearch_mappings.json
    elasticsearch:max results = 100
#   vfs objects = fruit streams_xattr
#   fruit:metadata = stream
#   fruit:model = MacSamba
#   fruit:posix_rename = yes
#   fruit:veto_appledouble = no
#   fruit:nfs_aces = no
#   fruit:wipe_intentionally_left_blank_rfork = yes
#   fruit:delete_empty_adfiles = yes

[Masterfiles]
    comment = Masterfiles
    path = /home/data/Masterfiles
    read only = no
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 2770
    force create mode = 0770
    force directory mode = 2770
    force group = allstaff
    valid users = @administrators @allstaff
#   vfs objects  = catia fruit streams_xattr
#   fruit:resource = file
#   fruit:encoding = native
    spotlight = yes

I am stuck and unable to move forward, does anyone have any suggestions?
Please let me know if you need logs too.
help appreciated.