[Samba] several offices: home dirs, local resources, ...

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Nov 22 13:13:37 UTC 2022

22.11.2022 16:03, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

>> Hi Norbert!  That seems like a very interesting way.  I just configured
>> [profiles] share on a DC, with msdfs root enabled, and created a folder
>> in it with `mjt' username, pointing to the right file server.
>>
> Are you aware of the source3 vs source4 differences, i.e. it is better not to host shares on a DC?

I'm not aware of how source3 vs source4 is relevant to the question
about hosting shares on a DC or not. Can you rephrase please?

Speaking about hosting shares on a DC.

There's a wiki page about this which lists several caveats which aren't
relevant here --
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Using_the_Domain_Controller_as_a_File_Server_.28Optional.29
(this basically says using DC as a File Server is optional).

There's a recent thread about my attempt at using Samba DC as a file
server, and here are the "why":
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2022-November/242802.html

And finally, where does "\\domain.fqdn" points to, when samba explicitly
creates the A records for the domain?  It is *the* domain file hierarchy,
which can be an MSDFS or can be file storage.

Here, Norbert used \\domain.tld\profiles share as a DFS root. Isn't
it always hosted on a DC?

I'm confused by your reply.

Thanks,

/mjt