[Samba] several offices: home dirs, local resources, ...

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 13:21:35 UTC 2022

Op 22-11-2022 om 14:13 schreef Michael Tokarev:
> 22.11.2022 16:03, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
>
>>> Hi Norbert!  That seems like a very interesting way.  I just configured
>>> [profiles] share on a DC, with msdfs root enabled, and created a folder
>>> in it with `mjt' username, pointing to the right file server.
>>>
>> Are you aware of the source3 vs source4 differences, i.e. it is
>> better not to host shares on a DC?
>
> I'm not aware of how source3 vs source4 is relevant to the question
> about hosting shares on a DC or not. Can you rephrase please?

Speaking about hosting shares on a DC.

> There's a wiki page about this which lists several caveats which aren't
> relevant here --
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Using_the_Domain_Controller_as_a_File_Server_.28Optional.29
>
> (this basically says using DC as a File Server is optional).

Ssource3 has more functionality for being a fileserver, whereas source4
has the focus on the DC functionality. Historically those two code
branches lived separately to be merged properly and so it still lives on
in the current source tree.

That is the reason that you see all sorts of disclaimers on file-sharing
from a DC.

An example on the page you mention above is: "If you do use an AD DC as
a fileserver, you must be aware that it can be problematic and can cause
strange errors."

I remember on one of the wiki-pages is says (or said): suitable for
development environments only.