[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 21 12:11:00 UTC 2022

On 21/11/2022 11:38, Juan Ignacio wrote:
> I have read both emails carefully and I have some doubts. If I remember
> correctly, changing the ip of an ad-dc samba caused problems for clients
> to connect.

It shouldn't, if it does, your dns is not setup corectly.

> Can the new server that will replace the old one have a different IP
> from the one in production?

Yes

> I need to join the new one to the old one
> that is in production to be able to do an upgrade?,

Yes

  did I understand
> correctly? How we transform the new one on a samba-ad-dc if it joins as
> a DC.

Not sure I understand that, a 'samba-ad-dc' is a DC, or are you
referring to the systemd service that starts a Samba AD DC ?

  If this is correct, which ip and hostname is recommended to be
> placed on this new server, any different from the old server?

It doesn't matter what IP and short hostname you use on your new DC,
just so long as the IP is in the same subnet e.g, If your existing DC
has the ipaddress 192.168.1.2 , you could use 192.168.1.3 for your new DC.

> /"About the resolv.conf file...
> Ensure that the /etc/resolv.conf has only these lines
> search your.dns.domain
> nameserver YOUR.EXISTING.DC.IPADDRESS"/*(The new one or the old one.)?*

Both, the existing DC should be like that now and your proposed new DC
should be the same to ensure that it can find the existing DC to join
the domain as a DC. Once the join has occurred, you need to change the
new DC's /etc/resolv.conf to use its own ipaddress as its nameserver
before you start Samba.

  /
> etc/hosts has 127.0.0.1 pointing to localhost and there is a line like
> this (replace with your information):
> the.computers.ipaddress the_computers_fqdn the_computers_short_hostname/
> (*old server or different information*)

Lets say that your existing DC uses the ipaddress '192.168.1.2' , the
short hostname 'dc1' and the dns domain 'samdom.example.com'

This would mean (ignoring the IPv6 lines, you can leave them as is),
your existing DC should have these lines:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.2 dc1.samdom.example.com dc1

Your new DC 'dc2' with ipaddress '192.168.1.3' , would be:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.3 dc2.samdom.example.com dc2

> /etc/hostname should only contain the computers short hostname/.*(i only
> have the computer short name of the server itself i think is correct.)
> *
>
> When you say computers, that confuses me a bit because I think that more
> than one is plural Excuse so many doubts, but between the language and
> having done it so long ago I'm a little rusty.

You can have more than one AD DC in an AD domain, in fact, multiple DC's
are better, they all hold the same data, apart from the FSMO roles and
they can be on any DC.

Rowland