[Samba] Migrate and Update (Samba 4.1 ADDC to Samba Latest Version on different Server).

Juan Ignacio juan.ignacio.pazos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 11:38:07 UTC 2022

I have read both emails carefully and I have some doubts.

If I remember correctly, changing the ip of an ad-dc samba caused
problems for clients to connect.
Can the new server that will replace the old one have a different IP
from the one in production?

I need to join the new one to the old one that is in production to be
able to do an upgrade?,  did I understand correctly? How we transform
the new one on a samba-ad-dc if it joins as a DC.

If this is correct, which ip and hostname is recommended to be placed
on this new server, any different from the old server?

*"About the resolv.conf file...
Ensure that the /etc/resolv.conf has only these lines
search your.dns.domain
nameserver YOUR.EXISTING.DC.IPADDRESS"** (The new one or the old one.)?*

*
etc/hosts has 127.0.0.1 pointing to localhost and there is a line like
this (replace with your information):
the.computers.ipaddress the_computers_fqdn
the_computers_short_hostname* (*old server or different information*)

*etc/hostname should only contain the computers short hostname*.
* ( i only have the computer short name of the server itself i think
is correct.)*

When you say computers, that confuses me a bit because I think that
more than one is plural

Excuse so many doubts, but between the language and having done it so
long ago I'm a little rusty.

Thx in advance you awesome..