[Samba] Samba 4.16 and 4.17 ubuntu focal and jammy packages

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Fri Nov 11 06:07:09 UTC 2022

11.11.2022 06:57, Peter Carlson via samba пишет:
> 1) what's the difference between 2:4.17.2+dfsg-7 and 2:4.17.2+dfsg-2 ?

See the debian/changelog file, as usual. It is unrealistic to answer to
questions like this.

> 2) Doing an in place upgrade fails.

It is not. Please learn to use apt.  You can't upgrade just one package
without upgrading its required dependencies too.  This question has already
been answered before several times, and it is not specific in any way to
this repository.

The proper way, just with the Debian backports for example, is to use -t
option when installing/upgrading a "head" package from a non-default repository.
with the argument being the "suite" you want to install from, like, in
this case,

  apt install -t ubuntu-22.04-jammy/samba-4.17 samba

This fun string is what I put currently into the Release file in this
repository, lacking a better name.  Maybe I should name them all just
"mjt-samba" or something like this, -- time will tell, just bear in
mind this one isn't set in stone and most likely will change.

/mjt