[Samba] "Invalid Group" but It Isn't

Eric Robinson eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Mon Nov 7 19:36:29 UTC 2022

> On 06/11/2022 23:58, Eric Robinson via samba wrote:
> > SOLVED.
> >
> > You were correct about a misconfigured nss-winbind! When I originally
> copied nsswitch.conf from the working server to the new server, I did not
> realize that /etc/nsswitch.conf is now a symlink in Rocky 8, so what I copied was
> just the symlink, not the actual file. After copying the real nsswitch.conf and
> restarting services, it works now.
>
> The main reason that you didn't realise earlier was because you used wbinfo to
> test for the group. Using wbinfo only shows if the user or group exists in AD, it
> does not mean that the user or group is known to Unix, you have to use a Unix
> tool such as getent to prove that i.e.
> getent group "MYCHARTS\site002_group"

Good to know!

> If nsswitch.conf is now a symlink, what is it a symlink to ?

lrwxrwxrwx.   1 root root        29 Jul 18 09:44 nsswitch.conf -> /etc/authselect/nsswitch.conf

> Rowland
>

> --
> instructions:
> https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.sam
> ba.org%2Fmailman%2Foptions%2Fsamba&data=05%7C01%7Ceric.robinso
> n%40psmnv.com%7C30ff256a32f64bb6013e08dac09645c9%7C41c01403a2654
> 17280287972e133fa87%7C0%7C0%7C638034048911145601%7CUnknown%7CT
> WFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJX
> VCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=UnKBJRCKZODllASYO9aYoPVJ
> gueH%2BmhGlbfkmi9vCCg%3D&reserved=0
Disclaimer : This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for intended recipients. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.