[Samba] "Invalid Group" but It Isn't

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Nov 7 08:00:02 UTC 2022

On 06/11/2022 23:58, Eric Robinson via samba wrote:
> SOLVED.
>
> You were correct about a misconfigured nss-winbind! When I originally copied nsswitch.conf from the working server to the new server, I did not realize that /etc/nsswitch.conf is now a symlink in Rocky 8, so what I copied was just the symlink, not the actual file. After copying the real nsswitch.conf and restarting services, it works now.

The main reason that you didn't realise earlier was because you used
wbinfo to test for the group. Using wbinfo only shows if the user or
group exists in AD, it does not mean that the user or group is known to
Unix, you have to use a Unix tool such as getent to prove that i.e.
getent group "MYCHARTS\site002_group"

If nsswitch.conf is now a symlink, what is it a symlink to ?

Rowland