[Samba] Migration 3.5 to 4.x, realm identical to domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 31 15:45:22 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2022-05-31 at 16:17 +0200, Philippe Maladjian via samba wrote:
> In order to comply with the recommendations, I thought of renaming
> the
> domain with my external domain (mondomaine.fr) and adding a prefix
> for
> the AD domain.
>
> Currently the Samba 3 domain is: dom.mondomain
> TLD after migration: mondomaine.fr

No, the TLD would be 'fr'. 'TLD' is short for 'Top Level Domain'

> Realm: nomrue205.mondomaine.fr

No, that would be the dns domain name, the realm is that in uppercase
'NOMRUE205.MONODOMAINE.FR'

> AD domain: nomrue205

No, that would be the Netbios domain name (aka workgroup)

Sorry to be a bit pedantic about this, but it saves problems in the
long term :-)

> Can I do this through a classic update?

Again, no, you need to do all this before the classic upgrade, which is
one of the reasons we suggest doing a trial upgrade before doing it for
real, you find all the problems before destroying your production
domain.

Rowland