[Samba] winbind on alpine linux

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 26 12:31:16 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-05-26 at 08:10 -0400, Philippe Clérié via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to set up a domain member file server on a Alpine Linux
> host. I
> just found out that Alpine does not use the Name Service Switch
> because
> *musl* does not. A bit of searching suggested that it could be made
> to work
> by adding a minimal *nsswitch.conf*:
>
> passwd: files winbind
> group: files winbind
>
> *wbinfo* will work with or without that file, but not *getent*. I
> would
> have thought that the package *samba-libnss-winbind* provides the
> necessary
> glue but apparently not.
>
> So would it be correct to assume that it's a lost cause? Or is there
> another mechanism that would fill the purpose? Or did I simply
> miss something (that in retrospect is obvious)?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Philippe

Never used Alpine Linux, but a quick internet search shows that the
best way to use Samba with Alpine Linux is to not use Samba with Alpine
Linux.

It appears that the suggested way is to use something called 'musl-
nscd', which appears to mimic 'nscd' and you cannot use 'nscd' with
winbind, their caches clash.

Rowland