[Samba] Benefits of CTDB in a Active/Active cluster managed by Pacemaker

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Wed Mar 23 22:56:14 UTC 2022

Hi Alexx,

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:46:19 -0700, Alexx Bull via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I’m considering a situation where I’ll have nodes providing SMB exports in
> an Active/Active cluster managed by Pacemaker. Because my setup may require
> a configuration not (easily) supported by CTDB, I’m considering excluding
> it. In this event, I wanted to know if there are any critical issues (i.e:
> data inconsistency) that CTDB solves that should make it a requirement for
> my setup or if CTDB is more like a bonus?

As Ralph has indicated separately, you will need CTDB for filesystem
data consistency across nodes.  Samba uses CTDB as a distributed store
for metadata that is needed in addition to what is stored in the
filesystem.

Can you please describe why your setup requires a configuration not
(easily) supported by CTDB?

Even if it isn't possible to make CTDB do what you currently need, it
would be good to understand your requirements to see if we can support
them in the future.

Thanks...

peace & happiness,
martin