[Samba] BIND9 DLZ DNS Back End Timeout on Boot

Dale Renton drenton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 15:47:00 UTC 2022

> /usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: Exception: Timeout while waiting
to contact a working DNS server while looking for SRV .....................
> dnsupdate_nameupdate_done: Failed DNS update with exit code 1

I can't duplicate samba_dnsupdate timing out on a test domain at home with
the same software.

We have multiple domain controllers at different physical locations with
different subnets.  The network is configured so that some locations cannot
access some other locations.  This domain controller that I'm doing the
upgrade on cannot access a couple of the other domain controllers.  Could
it have something to do with this?  The "samba-tool drs showrepl" is
working fine.

So essentially we have this infrastructure :

dc1 can access dc2 and dc3
dc2 can access dc1, but not dc3
dc3 can access dc1, but not dc2

I'm doing the samba_dnsupdate on dc2.  The samba-tool drs showrepl shows
dc1.

Thanks,
Dale